Jalen Carter Lock Top 10

I didn’t realize he was that young, nice

2 Likes

Interesting the age differences, we call Houston the young rookie right. Houston was born in 1998, and Alim born in 2000.

Sewell is still 22 years old as well. We got some young studs.

6 Likes

That is pretty crazy…

Again…. I could be wayyyy…… wayyyyyyyy off on him, and if we
draft him, I sure hope I am!!!

Let’s say in the case of Carter, that he was a 3 star recruit… a guy mocked in round 2-3 all this time….

I’d struggle anyone advocating him into the top 10 based only on his film and stats….

I know he’s a higher rated prospect than most others from GA on D, but it’s hard to argue how little many produced. Walker had a 51 PFF rating and similar productivity to Rodrigo and Anzalone…. Nothing eye popping.

The idea is that these guys aren’t coached to make plays at GA? But nobody really has crazy stats at GA, and then very few have had great production in the NFL?

I have watched every game that Carter has played the last 2 years and there is no doubt in my mind he is the most talented football player in this draft. If I have any concern it is that he was so talented that he didn’t have to work hard to dominate at the college level. I trust that Dan and Brad will determine if he can be motivated to work hard in the NFL.

3 Likes

That was from a different post on here, if you’re fine with Torrence at 18 I advise u to go back to the Georgia vs Florida game and watch Carter eat Torrence’s lunch alllllll game! Like Greg Cosell said “I remember watching him play Florida and driving back OL O’cyrus Torrence like he was 190 pound junior in Highschool, dominate”

it doesn’t show on that stat sheet but he was effecting the game and not everything shows up on stat sheet. If you was to say you’re worried about his off field issues and that scares you, then that’s okay but to not see how talented he is, is kinda wild to me.

1 Like

If a guy can’t be motivated to work to get to the NFL then can’t expect him to work once he does

Expecting people to change is a fool’s errand. There are other defensive tackles.

2 Likes

There are other defensive tackles in this class but there’s a big gap between Carter and the rest.

2 Likes

Campbell talked briefly as to possible reasons, which is part of their research.

However, especially at DT, stats aren’t the best metric persay. Carter shows elite traits, strength, quickness, ability to nearly jump to a different gap, and has a high pressure rate, which imo is as important if not more important than actual sacks. He’s stout vs the run, he’s truly good at both phases, pass, run.

McCoy didn’t have incredible stats, and when you go through history at DT, college stats, especially from JR yr aren’t particularly telling the story.

Carter is all by himself talent wise in this draft compared to any DT. He has the physical gifts to be a truly special player, as in HOF type traits. The question is does he want it? That’s my lone hang up. If he doesn’t want it, he’ll be a top 15 type DT, better than average, but frustrating because of what he’s capable of, is using pick 6 worth the risk? Is Wilson more likely to reach his potential? Highest potential and highest possible impact is Carter, is the risk worth it? You take the character, the locker room you have, his past history, team mates opinions etc. and make the best decision you can. I trust this staff to do that, and whichever way they go im good.

FTR, there’s a lot of uber talented players that bust. I understand your hesitance, i even agree with you on the character side

2 Likes

Another interesting team for Jalen Carter can be the Falcons at 8, they signed Calais Campbell we know how good of a mentor he is. Possibility

The rest >>> Carter?

There are other classes too. People write about Carter as if there will never be another opportunity to get a top tackle. Of course there will. Probably this year even, although I can’t predict who. There is no reason to spend a top ten pick on a guy who doesn’t like to work.

Not to criticize this idea specifically, but why in the world would you spend such a high value pick on a guy who needs a babysitter?

If Carter eats/drinks/breathes football then he should be a top 5 pick. If he doesn’t then he’s probably a pass. McShay has been talking about character problems since January. This goes far beyond the off field stuff. I’m sure there are examples of guys like this who have worked out, but I doubt there are examples of elite players with these type issues who have worked out.

2 Likes

I will say we have all been kids before and made dumb mistakes. But how many of us could say we would do what we did knowing that the biggest moments of your life are just a couple months away and that EVERYONE was watching actively for you to mess up.

Honestly most of my mistakes were when no one was watching. Even most screw ups know when to be on good behavior.

I can’t believe the amount of people in this topic that think that this specifically is ‘another red flag’. He may have some of those, but this isn’t one of them.

This is entirely his agent. And it’s probably the right move for Jalen.

Its red flag after red flag on this turd… sorry those are MCDC words… he wants no turds. This guy is the definition of one. I hope he proves me wrong

Nope they signed Dre’Mont Jones to a hudge contract. They may go Oline and have there choice they may go QB to put behind Geno. And one of the DBs might be appealing.

Its why we think his agent decided on this strategy. Is it to limit his interviews to limit how much he has to do? Or to limit his exposure to mess up? This agent doesnt do this regularly so theres a reason for it.

2 Likes

Lol but that’s just it you have absolutely no Idea what that means to Dan. You all believed you knew Holmes and we would not being signing splash players , yet we did a lot. People changed or thought they knew what “selective” meant yet they were way off way way off. Your making him out to be a turd because he going through a really bad experience. And didn’t handle it well.

1 Like

Wants to find him a landing spot outside the top ten by limiting his contact? Teams won’t see for themselves how disinterested he is? Second level thinking!

Oops. I see you stole my thunder.

This is a bizarre move. I can’t see it as anything but a red flag. Either Carter is so egotistical he isn’t listening to his representation or Rosenhaus is scrambling to salvage his draft position.

Who in their right mind refuses interviews?

It’s very easy for a team picking at let’s say 20+, who really wants Jalen after interviewing him, to leak ‘info’ that only causes him to drop further, even if that info isn’t true. “REPORT: NFC TEAM TAKES PLAYER OFF BOARD,” These type of reports happen all the time.

It’s not hard to see why Drew might not want teams outside the Top 10 to visit with Jalen considering all the questions about him. Considering that he, as his agent, is going to get a nice little check based on that contract, too.

1 Like

Can you think of a single example of when this has happened/worked? Fans see things through clickbaity stuff and jump to conclusions. I doubt teams would ever fall for that. Oh golly! There’s a rumor the Bears took him off their board? We should take him off ours!

There was the Laremy Tunsil thing but that wasn’t leaked by another team.

If this is actually a thing that commonly happens there should be plenty of obvious examples.