Jamaal Williams vs David Montgomery

Both will be FA’s next year. The Bears have a ton of money and there will be some very good options in FA at RB. Then there’s the fact their running game will absolutely be dominated by Fields. They can upgrade

David is just over 2 years younger than Williams, He’s missed 1 game this year, his injury history.

This season he has a 4 ypc average, 756 yards, and 304 yards receiving in 14 games. He was ttargeted 37x and has 32 catches. At IOWA ST in 2017 ," Montgomery led the nation in forced missed tackles with 104, breaking the previous record of 89 set by Dalvin Cook."

So, not a barn burner but a steady rotation guy that is capable of being the short yardage guy but is also a threat to catch the ball.

We know what we have in Williams, he’s been solid but also, not a barn burner. Only 15 passes thrown his way this year. He may get over 1,000 yards from scrimmage, which would be his best year. Montgomery has had over 1,000 yards every year. What Jamaal has done for the locker room is pretty special, but how much is that worth come contract time? I’m sure Jamaal will be testing the market, which could be good or bad for us. For me, I’m hoping he’s back but at a reasonable deal. If he decides to move on, I would be more than happy to get a player like David M as the consolation prize.

5 Likes

I would resign Jamaal and he would be RB3 and the Goal line vulture. Scoring TDs I believe would be enough at this point in his career to satisfy him. He is really good for the culture and leadership of this team. But is an overall below average player.

1 year/4 million I think keeps him around. A committee of a Rookie/Swift/Jamaal forms a really solid backfield in 2023.

edit
Actually I like the idea of giving him a 1 year deal with say a 3 million in guarantees. With TD incentives attached to it. Something like 100k for each TD. Giving him plenty of opportunity to hit that bonus would be enough motive to keep his energy at a high level.

6 Likes

It will be interesting to see what he is looking for. His best season and hasn’t missed a game. The ball will be in his court, hopefully he is OK staying for a reasonable contract. I would expect him to be looking for more than 1 year though.

1 Like

I agree he probably will be looking for more than a 1 year deal. But he isn’t doing himself any favors with his performance down the stretch. And his career numbers are as pedestrian as it gets.

He may be having his best year of his career, but the bar wasn’t very high in those regards. And aside from his TDs he isn’t doing much.

I think he likes it here. And a 1 year deal worth 3-4 million vs a 2 year deal worth 5-6 million I don’t think sways him. I also wouldn’t be opposed to matching that kind of deal. He is excellent for the locker room. And he can always be cut if anything changes.

1 Like

I’d be good with that, 1 year deal would be spot on based on his age. Jamaal was just forced to carry the ball way too much this season due to injuries to Swift and Reynolds and now we see Jamaal is worn down late in the season from overuse.

We need a legit #1 back, and I think that comes in the draft. Swift is more change of pace, 3rd down back. Jamaal in short yardage and goalline.

3 Likes

I believe his 55 first downs are currently 6th in the NFL for RB’s and he leads our team by a lot in that category. In the end, he is a rotational guy but he’s been pretty good at it for us.

4 Likes

Oh, that’s what you see?
So, you didn’t notice we played two of the best defenses in the league the last two weeks?
The line didn’t have great games, either.

3 Likes

Not to mention that I read or heard that Jamaal was hit behind the line on 5 of the 7 carries he had last week.

2 Likes

You know, I think that last week was an anomaly. Throw the tape away, get over it and move on. They know they’re better than that, the breakdown was everywhere. Get past it, learn what you can but don’t beat yourself up.

1 Like

I’m usually on the same page with you @LionFrog, but the Panthers were ranked 22nd in the nfl on rush defense before we played them. The Jets for sure have a very good run defense, but they were missing by far their best player in that game, big Q was out and we still couldn’t run the ball.

We really haven’t ran the ball well for 5 weeks now if I’m being honest, it’s not a small sample. Teams are catching up with the Lions offensive blocking scheme. The Vikings have a terrible defense, we couldn’t run on them either. Goff has been winning these games on his own the past several weeks.

The Bears give up 151 yards per game, which is nearly dead last in the nfl, we better be able to run on them.

2 Likes

Very true, we gotta adapt and tweak the blocking scheme. If we can’t run on the Bears, then we know it’s a real issue. They couldn’t stop a good college team.

1 Like

That team was on fire! They dominated all 3 phases. Jamaal was met in the backfield 3 times.
That’s an Oline problem or a strong Dline.
They may be ranked 22, but, they played like #1, Saturday.
Didn’t mean to be so snarky. Just the way my brain works sometimes. I’m trying to be humorous, but, it gets lost in the type.

2 Likes

It’s all good brother!! You are one of my favorite den members.

Let’s kill the Bears!!

The Lion King GIF by Walt Disney Studios

2 Likes

You’re not getting this from David Montgomery. Jamaal is a national treasure.

6 Likes

Hope he somehow ends up a coach here

Perhaps we make Pokemon a position group

1 Like

I saw this as a possibility before the season was over. Very glad they made the move.

5 Likes

Oh My God Wow GIF by 9Now

3 Likes

Great call @1CasanovaJack

1 Like

You know the Bears OL just wasn’t very good and that’s OK if you are a player like Fields, but it made it very tough on their RB group. I think DM is going to do very well here.

3 Likes