Possible Shortlist of 2024 CB/S Draft Targets

It’s no secret I like examining data and looking for trends to try and identify fits for the Lions. (2024 KCS List coming out soon-ish!)

Note: If you don’t like PFF and think it’s a joke, this probably won’t be for you. I admit they’re not perfect, but they’re one of the only options to look at when it comes to deeply evaluating different facets of a players game.

Aside from the normal stuff that we know about a Lions player needing the intangibles, there’s definitely something the Lions staff has said that has rang true in their player acquisitions:

"Townsend said he wants physical cornerbacks who are wired the right way mentally. “If you won’t tackle, you won’t play,” he said.

Willingness to play the run is an absolute must for a Lions DB. This plays out when looking at their drafts and UDFA acquisitions and looking at their PFF run defense grade in their final season heading into the draft:

Draft RDEF UDFA RDEF
Brian Branch 90.7 Steven Gilmore 84.1
Kerby Joseph 76.5 Starling Thomas V 79.2
Chase Lucas 75.6 Brandon Joseph 62
Ifeatu Melifonwu 72.8 Jerry Jacobs 40.2
Brady Breeze 75.6

The Lions have never drafted a DB with a run defense grade that is under 72.8. (Reminder that PFF scores use 60.0 as a baseline) Even looking at some of their notable UDFAs that they’ve brought in, they’ve placed a premium there as well - but with some obvious outliers like Jacobs’ 40.2 score.

When looking at the Lions current starting lineup, here are the run grades:

2024 Starters RDEF
Davis III 66.7
Sutton 67.2
Branch 83.9
Joseph 72.5
Melifonwu 74.5

Every starter is at least above average with Davis and Sutton being mid-60s, with the safeties being in the 70s tier, which I would call ‘Good’ and Branch in the 80s tier, which I would call ‘Great’. No ‘Elite’ 90s guys, though. So to me, it’s pretty obvious that this is something that they’re intentionally targeting and I think it’s worth applying to this draft class to see what it bears out.

So I went through PFF’s big board and checked all the RDEF grades of the secondary players. I applied an arbitrary number of 70.0 as a minimum threshold (Iffy was the lowest drafted RDEF score at 72.8) to account for some variance. These are players I think the Lions could be highly likely to draft. This is not to say if your favorite CB/S couldn’t be drafted if not on this list, because maybe they meet all the intangibles and other boxes, but it does appear to me to be less likely so.

I’ve been edging you all long enough, so here’s the list, ranked in order of where they currently are on PFF’s Big Board.

Cornerbacks RDEF Safeties RDEF
Cooper DeJean 78.6 Tyler Nubin 70.2
Quinyon Mitchell 76.1 Dadrion Taylor-Demerson 76
Terrion Arnold 90.6 Tykee Smith 73.3
Kool-Aid McKinstry 83 Neau Brade 70.6
Kamari Lassiter 70.5 Malik Mustapha 87.5
Ennis Rakestraw Jr. 89 Omar Brown 74.3
Khyree Jackson 82.2 Trey Taylor 72.7
Jarrian Jones 74.2 Kitan Oladapo 91.3
Jarvis Brownlee Jr 75.1 Josh Proctor 83.9
Cam Hart 73.7 Demani Richardson 75.9
Elijah Jones 71.7
Caelen Carson 83.4
Kalen King 73.6
Tarheed Still 88.4
Ryan Watts 79.6
Josh Wallace 87.8
Daequan Hardy 73.7
Myles Harden 74.6
Marcellas Dial 70.7
Jarius Monroe 83.3
Deantre Prince 73.9
Donte Kent 79.5

Obviously this isn’t an exact science and Brad has shown a propensity to do the exact opposite of what I think that he will do. But if someone held a gun to my head and asked me to pick a CB or S I think the Lions would draft, I’d be using this list to narrow down my choices.

11 Likes

This is AWESOME. Thank you!

2 Likes

Data nerds gonna data nerd. :nerd_face:

3 Likes

Good work as always man

I made a post about arm length-wingspan for DBs… if you accompanied this to the beautiful work you’ve already done I think you’d have the entire picture covered minus interviews of course.

Some more work for next time you’re bored lol

2 Likes

I do think it’s a bit harder to project physical stuff. It seems like there’s always more outliers there. For instance, just looking real quick:

Sutton - 30" arms
Robertson - 30.25"
Branch - 30.75"
Gilmore - 29.75"

If you were to look at the 3 you posted, you’d think they prefer longer arms, but if you just looked at the 4 I just posted, you’d think they wanted shorter arms. I’m just not sure that I see an actual trend there other than they all have arms. :joy:

But this does just kind of want me to put together a full list of Lions roster and draft picks combine/pro day testing to see if there are clear trends anywhere.

The only thing I can see is we traded a 3rd, and drafted 2 in the 3rd round

That’s the 3 I listed with long arms

Branch was drafted in the 2nd…but let’s be honest if he ran faster and has longer arms he could went top 10. Top 15 for sure

The other guys were dudes signed that we could get (age, money, etc) or udfa…

So that’s why I consider it a trend

Not really a data point by Rabbit (Dadrion Taylor-Demerson) I almost certainly graded through the roof on our character/got Al character scale.

And sure, he’s older but …

3 Likes

Pretty sure both of these are on my draft crushes…but who isn’t? :joy:

Where did Max Meltin grade out on RDEF? Seems he could be a day 2 target with his coverage and playmaking ability.

1 Like

64.9 - which isn’t terrible, but seems outside the scope of what the Lions have done in terms of drafted players

4 Likes

How about Green FSU surprised to see him. Not on there

Yeah I was wondering about him too. Kinda known for his run defense too, so it’s surprising he’s not on there.

That said I think he might have struggled earlier in his career so maybe it’s bringing his score down?

2 Likes

Maybe more of a technique / angle situation that we can coach up because he definitely seems more than willing to mix it up

1 Like

This is purely based on PFFs final season heading into the draft (mostly for my sake :joy:)

1 Like

This very well could be. Like I said, I’m not sure that this is 100% fool proof, but a good starting point. Maybe guys like Jacobs they saw a willingness to do it, just needed to be coached up. Hard to tell what they’re looking for exactly, but I would have to think that a willingness to get dirty in the run game goes a long way rather than just being polished.

1 Like

Yeah I mean that shot of him tossing 1st round OT prospect Tyler Guyton aside like he was a tiny RB so he can make a tackle is something you’ll rarely see from ANY CB

2 Likes

At this point I don’t see us getting these top tier CB or DE. DE class isn’t great either.

I hope we can get Dejean/Nubin or Newton/Murphy round 1 looks like our sweet spot.

Round 2 would be great spot for IOL…maybe Trice, Leggette, or DT.

Let Brad handpick CB & DE in round 3 or Day 3

Also great depth at WR rounds 3-4.

That’s what I gather from all this data recently

I’ve become incredibly partial to Josh Wallace later in the draft. Played at UM last year so we for sure got a good look at him, great run defender, offers a little versatility, 3x captain at UMass before coming to Michigan. PFF Grades off the charts and got better ever year.

3 Likes

Do you have any pictures of his kneecaps?