Who do you want the Lions to take at 2 if Hutchinson goes 1?

I think it has less to do with racism or anything else except our romanticized notions of the game as fans.

We believe in passion and team loyalty and want to believe that the players are playing for the city and the fans and that logo, too, with the same passion. Some do, some are taking more of a businessman’s approach – not that they don’t give it their all, but they’re doing it because they are getting paid, and would do it for some other team for the same reason.

As you mention, that’s perfectly fine. But it doesn’t jibe with the romanticized notions of fans.

1 Like

I agree. People were guffawing about taking Quentin Nelson in the top 5ish due to positional value and he was an actual guard and the best prospect there in at least 5 if not 10 years.

If Campbell ran that 6 OL smashmouth F U set all the time, I might listen.

I would take Hamilton right there then. Put Walker at FS and then put Hamilton at SS. Use him like Pitt used Polamalu. Make him a wrecking ball all over the field.

1 Like

I’m really not sure Walker will even be back. If Hutch is gone, I’d take Hamilton as well, the defense is really lacking a playmaking safety. Last year we had 1 interception combined by our starting safeties, and it came with 26 seconds left in game 17. We almost went the entire season without a starting safety picking off a pass. Think about that for a second.

1 Like

Respect someone through their actions. Especially who you just said you respected.

What happened since Nov '21?

Did Hutchinson reveal a Superman uniform underneath his pads?

What did I miss since November?

51 votes with 76% willing to draft Kayvon at #1 overall (over Hutchinson).

–Where was Hutchinson in 2018 when KT was ranked the #1 player in the ESPN top 300 High School players? Kayvon was/is the highest rated recruit to sign with the Oregon Ducks in school history.

–Where was Hutchinson in 2019 when KT was making the Freshman All-American team and named the Pac-12 Defensive Freshman player of the year? Oh…and he led Oregon in sacks that year with 9.

–Where was Hutchinson in 2020 when KT was winning the Morris trophy?
“The Morris Trophy is awarded annually to the best offensive and defensive linemen in the Pac-12 conference, as selected by opposing players.”

–Where was Hutchinson in 2020 when KT was winning a Pac-12 championship and being named the MVP of the game?

Kayvon played through an ankle sprain early in 2021, and still was voted unanimously to the All-American team. And put up a better pressure %rate than Hutchinson during the 2021 season.

LINK And yet, Thibodeaux is working on his third consecutive season in which he leads the Ducks in sacks and tackles for loss. He has accumulated 29 pressures, which is tied for 20th nationally, and has a defensive pressure rate of 19.5 percent, second-best in the country.1 It takes Thibodeaux an average of 2.49 seconds to pressure the QB, an improvement of 0.19 seconds from a season ago.

On a per-play basis, arguably no player wreaks more havoc on an offensive line than Thibodeaux.

Kayvon Thibadeaux was…and still is…the best pass rusher in this Draft class.

I’ll die on this hill with a plate full of crow.

I ask again, what I have missed since @HSVLion other poll from 3-4 months ago?

2 Likes

What happened since November?
December and January. :slight_smile:

Some serious football was played in that time.

3 Likes

Fair enough….but was the previous two entire seasons 2019-20 not serious football? Where was this wonder kid Hutchinson at during that time?

You have to wonder where he would have been in all of our conversations had he not suffered the fractured leg in 2020. The same could be said of Thibs regarding his high-ankle sprain.

One peaked in 19, the other in 21.

1 Like

I’m starting to lean towards Tibbs even if Hutch is there. If we were a 4-3 team, it would change the calculous and I’ve been Hutch over Tibbs pretty much since the jump due mainly to the great leadership qualities Hutch exudes that Tibbs sort of doesn’t. But I don’t know either guy. Tibbs may be a great teammate who just had a couple douche sound bites.

When I look at traits and scheme fit ONLY, I begin to question how effective Hutch can be coming from the outside around the OT. I always knew he was stiffer than you’d like with a 2OA EDGE player. He mitigates it well by being a great bull rusher and hand fighting ninja. He can bull rush and penetrate from inside moves all day. But watching him trying (flailing really) to get around non rock star OT’s is concerning to me. Tibbs has no such issue at all. He has a lot more bend and explosion and those traits to me, when looking at a 3-4 OLB are more critical. He’ll also be much better in space due to being more athletic. I have to spend more time looking for insight into his character and looking at the alleged low effort play. But right now this moment, I’ve changed my mind and now want KT at 2OA if he is there.

4 Likes

That’s 100% spot-on. (Seriously, all of it, especially getting around the OT.)

If Thibs interviewed like Okudah or Willis, I would be all-in.

Hutch being a hand-fighting-ninja is a big deal, but possibly lacks the length and bend you want to see in a premier edge-rusher.

With Thibs, you have the 1st uncoachable trait that you desire most, his speed / 1st step. You also have the bend that allows him to set up OT’s and win inside/outside and straight ahead.

He just comes off like such a dipshit. Not stupid, just lost in himself like a 1st year seminary student LOL. I love a kid like Willis who can think on his feet, show some personality and flex a bit while still being humble.

4 Likes

Birkett floated the idea of Jermaine Johnson at 2 if the Lions weren’t sold on Thibs for whatever reason. That would be a bold move and one that would indelibly brand Brad one way or the other, depending on how the 2 players adapted to the NFL.

I can answer this question for myself. I won’t speak for the community.
My initial opinion was based on hype. I do not regularly watch 20 college football games per week. I then started watching the Oregon games, 4 or 5 of them, couldn’t figure out what the f they were talking about. Guy was pretty a**, and effort was atrocious.

2 Likes

I totally can see both sides. You guys know my stance. Almost every year, I hope for a trade down, and this one is no different.

When you see me talk about which one I prefer, it’s irrelevant, even to myself. I will be 100% behind whatever Brad does, and view his choice as better than mien.

I DO think Thibz has more talent.
I do think Thibz is a better scheme fit.
I do think Hutch is strong and will get stronger
I do think our coaches and locker room can impact Thibz in a positive way
I do think Hutch would be a leader in there that plays his guts out every play.

Maannn…I heard Hutch say, “I would die for this!” Also…he MEANT IT! He has a passion that is not “normal.”

It’ll be fun to see how the whole thing shakes down.

I don’t have any interest if someone eats crow, turkey, chicken, or duck for dinner on any given day. Just having fun talking football w/the dudes!

5 Likes

I will not be happy with Thibz, but of course I’d be happy to eat crow. I’m all about the Lions, if you haven’t figured that out from my love of beans.

Thibz reminds me so much of Clowney. The play just doesn’t match the hype. The Big 10 is clearly a better conference than the Pac 12. And yet Hutch had twice the production of Thibz. And if you want to bring up injury excuses, the body language I saw just doesn’t support that view.

2 Likes

100%

I just want to claw out of the cellar and not miss any steps along the way. That’s a virtual impossibility, I realize, but that’s my underlying desire. Win in the 1st round, the 2nd round and in the 8th round (UDFA).

I’m definitely not there. Concerned? Yes. Unimpressed? Yes. Unhappy if he’s the pick? Not really. If it doesn’t work out it’s 100% on Holmes. If we turn the pick in at 8:12 pm, I’ll be on board by 8:13.

4 Likes

Only quoted this portion of your post, but this should be easy to agree with. The group think consensus guy is wrong enough often enough.

Regardless, if the Lions don’t pick consensus guys many will cry bloody murder.

Jermaine Johnson

At #2oa?

Devin Lloyd he is this years Micha Parsons